So, it turns out us 68 was shut down for a bit right before Morganstown. They wanted folks to backtrack 15 miles, then take a 30 mile detour to get around. Well, using my new blackberry and google maps w/ gps, I found a road that would only be 5-10 miles out of the way...When the road went down to 1 lane, I wasn't worried.When it went to rock, I wasn't worried.When it went into a forest, not worried.When it turned into a very narrow dirt lane...I should have been worried, but I saw 2 houses and a cell tower on the "road"...so how bad could it be?When I had to navigate the van down a 7 degree slope over small craters and boulders...I was sorta kinda beginning to fear for my life...When I almost ripped the bumper off the van...well let's say I got nervous finally.Then I finally saw pavement again...and the kids were able to stop crying. My wife started breathing again a few miles later...So, 3 things...1. West virginia has roads this illinois farm boy could not have even imagined.2. Google maps can never be trusted ever again.3. I'm a little upset no one explained to me just how dangerous this blackberry could be.
This is the actual "road" that we were on!
This is the actual "road" that we were on!
If you go to this link and view it as a satellite image, you get the real feel of the location.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=7420210516006531045,39.708361,-79.788516&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=pisgah,+wv&daddr=Ryan+Hollow+W%2FSand+Springs+Rd+%4039.708361,+-79.788516+to:39.671785,-79.850693&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=1&sll=39.677598,-79.779625&sspn=0.184967,0.32135&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

No comments:
Post a Comment